Monday, September 24, 2007

Thing 6 & 7. Learn about RSS, google reader 7 add some feeds

I had already added google reader to my gmail account so used the time to check my RSS feeds (of which I had eleven with a few hundred posts!!) hadn't checked them in months, therein lies the problem. It's just another thing you have to remember to check and allow time for on a regular basis which is also what I'm finding in regards to the the Ref blog. Now as well as checking my Outlook email, I need to check the Refblog, gmail account and google reader, if only I didn't have a real job. The biggest problem for me is getting distracted by so many links on each and every post, blog or page. You can get lost for hours!! I have also added a "subscribe button" to my toolbar which should make it easier to add even more subscriptions.
What I really need now is a tool to manage my Life so I have time for all this!

3 comments:

Librarian Kathryn said...

Oulook 2007 comes with a built in RSS reader. It will let us subscribe to feeds (like the refdesk blog one) that are only available on the Murdoch network. This would put your Outlook email, RSS feeds and refdesk blog info all in the same spot. ITS have been made aware that we would like it made available as soon as possible.

You may want to have a look at iGoogle to see another way of anchoring all your bits in the one spot.

If you want to be freaked out (to quote Scritty) check out my last posting on my 23 Things blog where I explain why to me my RSS reader isn't "another place to go".

Groucho Marx's Dog said...

Firefox also has an add on to see the google reader feeds.

Personnaly it sounds like outlook is a better option but if you prefer :

Go to Tools --> add ons --> get extensions --> search for google reader notifier then install it and next time you start your browser it will be in the bottom right hand corner.

Callmesir said...

I share meer cats sentiments. Also appreciate the comments which I will look into in order to gather all my electronic bit n pieces